This dress almost ended up in my unfinished disaster bin. It is, what I call, the ‘salvage mission’ dress.
I made my first project from “Stylish Dress Book” by Yoshiko Tsukiori. I decided on dress “A” because I wanted something quick and easy – unfortunately I completely messed up my ‘quick and easy’ plans by adding tucks to the original pattern. I think I may be a sewing masochist.
The bizarre thing is the tucks were relatively easy. I had to unpick a few times to make sure they were all evenly spaced but overall they were fine. No, the problems started happening when I tried to finish the armholes and neckholes – suddenly it was as if I had spent too much successful sewing time on the front tucks, and something had to start going wrong.
The bias binding I had for the arm and neckholes was too wide (?maybe) and would not sit flat. I couldn’t, and still can’t, figure out why that was. I unpicked the binding from the neckline so many times that I accidentally ripped a ~2cm gash into the neckline at the back. I was going for a bound neckline but after the rip I decided on a faced neckline with a large seam allowance to hide the gash.
In the end I clipped all the bias bindings down to very narrow widths and secured it down with fusible web. It’s very ugly.
Thankfully the dress has no closures or zips (the zip may have exploded in my hands for no reason). Because it has no closures and just slips over the head it is a fairly shapeless dress. I added a waistband to give it some shape.
So this is my B-grade, salvage mission dress. I think it looks beautiful. I very nearly did not wear this dress/gave up on it when I clipped the bias binding and realised that I could not finish the raw edges. I read so many blogs and so many books and they all say ‘the inside has to look as good on the outside!’ so I very nearly just threw it in the unfinished, ‘screwed-up’ pile.
But in the end, I think it’s enough that I tried and it didn’t work out. It’s still a beautiful dress on the outside, so that’s good enough.